I’m back! Unfortunately I caught a nasty cold on the flight home and have been sick for the past 2.5 weeks. The trip was absolutely amazing and I wish we could have stayed in Cape Town a little longer. We just gave our final presentations and our final papers are due in a couple of days - in essence, the fun part of GIM is over! lol.
While I was abroad I discovered a secret that a lot of my more well-traveled classmates already knew: Africa gets into your soul. I want to go back!
My favorite parts of the trip included:
- Visiting FirstRand Limited (banking/financial services) and meeting with the CEO
- Meeting Kellogg alums in JoBurg
- Apartheid Museum
- Visiting the AngloGold Ashanti gold mine - we got to go into the mines and visit with the miners. Much respect to the people who work in the mines everyday!
- River cruise and safari in Botswana
- Ziplining and gorge swinging in Zimbabwe
- Cape Town!
- Robben Island
- Meeting Brand Managers at Johnson & Johnson South Africa
- Meeting with a consumer insights agency to learn more about the South African consumer
- Food! Especially discovering Nando’s. The closest thing I’ve had to Nando’s is El Pollo Loco in SoCal, but Nando’s is MUCH better.